Mazda Mazdaspeed3 vs Subaru Impreza WRX
The 2013 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 vs. the 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX
The Mazdaspeed3 and the Subaru Impreza are in fast company. They’re both sporty small cars that fill a neglected niche of practically priced high-performance compacts. At Cox Mazda we’ll take the tuned 2013 Mazda3 against any competition, so we thought it would be useful for you as a car shopper to see how it stacks up against one of its biggest competitors.
Race Inspired Performance
Mazdaspeed is Mazda’s in-house performance division which designs and builds cars for competition, so you know that Mazda with that stamp will be a rocket. The genius tuners from Mazdaspeed took the stock Mazda3 and made it into something else:
- 2.3L Inline DOHC 4-cylinder is supercharged and intercooled for maximum combustion efficiency.
- 263 hp and 280 lb-ft of torque get you off the line fast.
- The standard 6-speed short-throw manual transmission gives you all the control that you want.
- 4-wheel independent MacPherson struts and e-type multilink rear provides precise handling, while the Mazda Advanced Torque Management system and standard limited slip differential helps the Mazdaspeed3 maintain traction in any driving situation.
The Subaru WRX certainly comes from a performance background as well:
- The 2.5L flat 4-cylinder engine is also turbocharged and intercooled.
- The performance numbers are similar at 265 hp and but with significantly less torque at 244 lb-ft.
- The Impreza comes with a 5-speed manual.
Both vehicles have some other great features like 4-wheel anti-lock disc brakes, electronic traction and stability control, and electronic brake assist. The Impreza lacks the limited slip differential. Both vehicles get identical fuel consumption numbers with 25 mpg highway and 21 mpg combined by EPA estimates. What it comes down to is that the Mazdaspeed3 with more torque and a close-ratio 6-speed manual will be more responsive and fun to drive. Both are great vehicles, but for the intended purpose of a sporty small sedan, the Mazda is the clear choice.
Come Drive the Mazdaspeed3 Today at Cox Mazda
If you’re visiting Cox Mazda to test drive the latest Mazdaspeed3 from Gulf Gate Estates or Vamo getting here is easy. Simply take U.S. 41 North to Bradenton and take a left on Cortez Road West. Contact us today with any questions or to plan your next visit.