2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata vs. 2016 MINI Cooper Convertible
2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata
2016 MINI Cooper Convertable
The 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata is now available to Palmetto and Bradenton drivers, offering a legacy of affordability, style, and dependability, and it has remained one of the most fun-to-drive cars on the road through its twenty-five-year history.
Let’s see if one of the few competitors of the 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata – the 2016 MINI Cooper Convertible – can stand up to the new convertible.
Under the Hood of the 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata
There are not many cars that are anywhere near as fun to drive as the 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata, and that’s due in large part to its engine. While the MINI Cooper Convertible tries to keep up… well, we think the specs speak for themselves:
- 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata models have a 2.0L four-cylinder engine with 155 hp paired to a standard six-speed manual transmission. An automatic transmission with paddle shifters is available as well.
- The turbocharged 1.5L engine of the MINI Cooper Convertible is only good for 134 hp, and while it comes with either a manual or an automatic transmission, fans of automatic transmissions will be without the added control of paddle shifters.
Loading up the 2016 MINI Cooper Convertible
Both of these convertibles are sporty, two-door models, but when you drop the top on the 2016 MINI Cooper Convertible, you’ll see an extra set of seats in the back. It might sound like a good idea at first, but it takes away much of the charm of the small convertible.
- The 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata is a two-door, two-seat roadster with room in the back for the necessary bags for a weekend getaway. Its lightweight design and peppy engine would be largely diminished by adding two passengers.
- The MINI Cooper Convertible suffers from the extra weight of rear seats (and rear passengers) and lost cargo space, neither of which combine well with its weaker engine.
Keeping Comfortable and Connected Behind the Wheel
You might expect the MINI Cooper Convertible to offer a comparable level of features to the 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata since it gears itself more toward being a small sedan than a roadster. Yet the 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata comes out ahead on features we know our Memphis and Palmetto drivers care about. Each Miata comes standard with:
- Bluetooth phone and audio
- Six-speaker stereo system
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Push-button ignition
Features like a premium 9-speaker Bose stereo, a 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system, and a state-of-the-art navigation system are all available as well. For the 2016 MINI Cooper Convertible to be on par with the basic 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport, it would need to be considerably upgraded.
Test Drive a 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata near Palmetto and Memphis Today
We want to show you why the 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata is adored by Palmetto and Memphis drivers, but as with any true roadster, that means you need to take it for a test drive. Contact Cox Mazda online or by phone at (941) 749-2790 to set up a test drive of the 2016 Miata. You can also visit us in person seven days a week to get behind the wheel; Cox Mazda is located at 3101 CORTEZ ROAD WEST in Bradenton.