Who Owns Mazda?
Do you know who owns Mazda? Whether you’ve been driving a Mazda vehicle around Sarasota for years or you’re new to the brand, it’s important to understand Mazda’s ownership and history. Cox Mazda has the rundown for you!
Founded in 1920 in Japan, Mazda originally manufactured tools and expanded to automobiles in the 1930s. Today, Mazda is a wholly owned Japanese company, but at one point, Ford one-third of Mazda. Ford has since sold its shares in the company, and various Japanese stakeholders. You can learn more with Mr. Mazda in the video.
Currently, Mazda is headquartered in Hiroshima, Japan and is led by Akira Marumoto, President and CEO since June 2018. Its cars are primarily manufactured in its Japanese factories.
Over the years, Mazda has achieved various milestones, including:
- The production of a three-wheel truck named the Mazda-Go in 1931.
- The creation of Mazda’s rotary engine in 1967, which resulted in the introduction of the Cosmo Sport, the world’s first volume production sports car powered by a rotary engine.
- The debut of the iconic Mazda MX-5 Miata in 1989 when other automakers weren’t bothering with lightweight sports cars, and now more than 1 million Miata models are on the road. The Mazda MX-5 Miata was also named 2016 World Car of the Year and World Car Design of the Year.
- The launch of SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY in 2010, which via innovation effort combines efficiency with performance through body construction, transmission, engine technology, and more.
Some interesting facts about the Mazda brand include:
- The company name comes from Ahura Mazda, an Iranian god, and also derives from the name of the company’s founder, Jujiro Matsuda.
- The Mazda Foundation was established in 1984 as a means of giving back to the community.
- The Mazda logo has been redesigned five times, and the current Mazda logo was initiated in 1997.
- Mazda will celebrate its 100th anniversary in 2020.
Finance a New Mazda at Cox Mazda
Not sure which to choose? Compare our models like the Mazda CX-3 vs Subaru Crosstrek, then get in touch with Cox Mazda to plan your visit to the dealership! Make sure to get preapproved for financing online to expedite the car-buying process once you’re here!