What Does the Mazda Check Engine Light Mean?
When a component of your vehicle is not functioning properly and further investigation is required, the Mazda check engine light is a way to indicate drivers of a problem. Schedule a service appointment at your nearest authorized Mazda dealer if your light goes on while driving around Sarasota or Tampa, don’t wait!
If your Mazda3 engine light comes on, calling our service center or scheduling service can be valuable to prevent long term damage to your engine. The Mazda engine light is a valuable tool, even if it can be vague as to what it is alerting you to. You should never ignore the Mazda engine light for long, but below you can find some examples of what it might mean.
Why Is the Mazda Check Engine Light On?
There may be a few different vehicle issues that may cause your new Mazda CX-5 warning light, Mazda3 engine light, or your Mazda6 check engine light to go on. Included possibilities are:
- There is an issue with the emission control system
- There is an issue with the engine’s electrical system
- The gas cap is missing or not screwed on tightly enough
- The fuel tank is empty or extremely low
Additional Check Engine Tips
Some additional tips that might explain why your Mazda6 check engine light or your Mazda CX-5 warning light is on or flashing.
- If your light is flashing continuously or stays on, avoid driving at high speeds, and visit an authorized Mazda dealer as soon as possible.
- If your light turns on do not disconnect the battery cables. If they are connected and then reconnected it could cause the engine to catch fire or be seriously damaged.
SKYACTIV®-G Engine Tips
SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY within Mazda turbocharged engines, including the SKYACTIV®-G 2.0T or the SKYACTIV®-G 2.5T, optimize engine power, and improves overall operation. Since its advanced design varies from your typical engine, there are a few additional things to keep in mind to avoid SKYACTIV®-G engine problems while driving through Palmetto roads.
- Do not race or over-rev the engine after starting it, to avoid any unnecessary damage.
- Do not race or over-rev the engine after starting it in extreme temperatures.
- Change the engine oil and filter according to the Schedule Maintenance section of your owners’ manual.
- Use only the recommended engine oil according to your owner’s manual, do NOT use any additional additives.
- After sustained strain like driving up a long hill, driving at freeway speeds, or towing for a long time, idle the engine for at least 30 seconds before stopping it to avoid damage.
Rely on Cox Mazda for Your Service Needs
If you are driving and your Mazda check engine light goes on, browse our service specials before heading in for an opportunity to get a great deal at Cox Mazda. You can also contact our service department or check out our service tips—like how to check your transmission fluid, how to check your oil, or how to determine how much an oil change costs—if you want to learn more. Whether your Mazda engine light is on, or you are interested in test driving a brand new Mazda, come in or contact us.
More Service Tips From Cox Mazda
When a component of your vehicle is not functioning properly and further investigation is required, the Mazda check engine light is a way to indicate drivers of a problem. Schedule a service appointment at your nearest authorized Mazda dealer if your light goes on while driving around Sarasota or Tampa, don’t wait! If your Mazda3…
In order to keep your vehicle running at top performance, it’s important to perform regular maintenance and inspections. Your car runs on more than just oil, and how often you check your auto fluids can make all the difference for a smooth ride through Sarasota. There are five fluids you should check on a regular…
Contact Us If it’s time to schedule a repair or replacement with the Cox Mazda Service Department, you may be wondering: What is the difference between genuine Mazda parts and aftermarket parts? The main distinction is that genuine Mazda parts have been crafted specifically for your Mazda vehicle, whereas aftermarket parts were not. Learn more…