What’s the Difference Between Manual and Automatic Transmissions?
If you’re deciding between a car with either a manual transmission or an automatic, then you may be wondering what the difference between the two is. The main distinction is how the car goes about shifting gears:
- Automatic: The car decides when you shift and automatically changes gears for you. The majority of drivers learn how to drive using an automatic transmission.
- Manual: You are in charge of shifting gears using the clutch and gas pedals. Operating a manual transmission may require some additional training and practice time.
Some perks of selecting a car with an automatic transmission include:
- Simplicity: You can drive without distractions and keep your focus on the road since the vehicle does all of the work for you
- Practicality: Using a manual transmission if you’re often stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic or live in a hilly area can be annoying
- Fast Acceleration: Technology advancements, like those found in the Mazda CX-5 and the Mazda3, makes swift acceleration much easier
A few advantages you will experience with a manual transmission include:
- Better Gas Mileage: Because you control the engine’s RPMs the car experiences less revving and therefore uses less gas
- More Control: For example, slowing down without using as much brake power with down shifting, which in turn prevents unnecessary wear on brakes and tires
- Fewer Repairs: Automatic transmissions typically involve more complicated technology requiring more regular service
- Cheaper Cars: Since manual transmissions are less complicated, a car with a manual is often cheaper
Learn More About Transmissions at Cox Mazda
Whether you’re looking for service on your current manual or automatic transmission or you need info about what transmission to pick as you explore your new Mazda options, the team at Cox Mazda is here for you.