How to Open the Mazda Key Fob and Replace a Dead Battery
Sarasota drivers live in a world with convenient remote start, push button starts, and keyless entry technology. What happens when all of these features stop working as they should? You can always count on Cox Mazda and our service center to diagnosis and treat tech problems, however, if it’s just a dead battery you may need to know how to open the Mazda key fob yourself. In order to get the process started of changing your dead key fob battery you will need:
- Your Mazda key fob
- A replacement battery on hand (CR2025 battery)
- A small flat head screwdriver with the head wrapped in tape to prevent scratches
Opening Your Mazda Key Fob
As you being the process of learning to open your Mazda6 key fob or your Mazda CX-5 key fob, you will be glad to hear that the process is similar no matter which Mazda model you own. You can follow these simple steps to reveal the battery:
- Press the auxiliary key button on the back of your key fob in order to remove the metal auxiliary key
- With the metal key gone, you’ll notice a slot on either side of the key fob case.
- Use the tape-wrapped flathead screwdriver to pry open the case, first on one side, and then on the other. Work gently.
- This should remove the case. Place the latter in an easily-visible spot where you won’t lose track of it.
Replacing Your Mazda Key Battery
The process of actually replacing your Mazda key fob battery should only take a moment once the fob is open. Follow these final steps and get back on the Tampa roads:
- Remove the battery cap, and set it next to your key fob case.
- Your Mazda key fob battery should be fully exposed. Remove it, being careful not to damage the small rubber ring that it sits upon.
- If you scratched or damaged the rubber ring, it’s important to replace this component before moving on.
- With the ring in place, take your new replacement battery and set it in its place in the key fob. The positive (+) side should be up, facing you.
- Return the battery cover to its proper place, and then reattach both sides of the key fob case. Press until you hear them click into place.
Quick and Easy Service at Cox Mazda
Whether you determine that replacing your Mazda key fob battery yourself is going to be too time-consuming, or you want to ensure that is done right, reach out to the service team at Cox Mazda in Bradenton. We can walk you through the process step by step or do it ourselves in a jiffy. Be sure to review our Mazda service specials and learn more about the Mazda maintenance schedules to determine if you need to schedule other maintenance check-ups or repairs while you are in the bay. We also have other maintenance blogs, like our instructions on checking the transmission fluid on your car and our guide on oil change prices.
More from Cox Mazda
While Mazda’s lineup has always been world class, the introduction of the upcoming 2020 Mazda CX-30 has generated major buzz in the Sarasota area. The CX-30 is the newest addition to the crossover family and it brings modern style, cutting-edge technology, and impressive performance features to the roads. While we wait for the Mazda CX-30…
Tires are the most important safety features on your vehicle, so it’s important to make sure that they’re in great shape. Your Mazda3 tire size depends on which model you choose from our online inventory! Whether you choose a Mazda3 4 door or a Mazda3 5 door, and depending on what trim level you choose,…
How much is a Mazda CX-9? While the CX-9 Sport starts at $32,280* MSRP, there are several trim levels to choose from depending on your budget and needs. The team at our Sarasota-area Mazda dealership will help you take a closer look at the CX-9 Sport, Touring, Grand Touring, and CX-9 Signature to find the…